Thursday, July 23, 2015

Day 2: Corn, Cotton, Windmills, and the 10 Commandments


Cadillac Ranch - 10 miles West of Amarillo
Day two began in Amarillo, county seat of Potter County. From Canyon we drove into Amarillo on I-27 and quickly found the county courthouse and square and I took some photos of the 1932 Moderne style built of terra-cotta and concrete.





I thought the metal longhorn above the entrance door was a nice touch on an otherwise bland looking building.  Route 66 ran through Amarillo and there is a Route 66 Historic District downtown but we did not have the time to explore it.


We found I-40 from downtown and headed west.  I saw the old Cadillac Ranch and took the exit and parked and walked out to the 10 buried Cadillac cars.  This used to be private property and the owner charged admission to see the cars.  It is now state property and the graffiti artists have ruined a Texas icon.







Just east of the buried Cadillacs is the Cadillac Ranch RV park with a 20 foot cowboy proclaiming the 2nd Amendment.


The historical marker looking stand between the cowboy's legs is the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution.  We know where this owner stands on gun rights.


Found on one of the buildings in Vega.
We got back on the I-40 and headed west to Vega, county seat of Oldham County.  I-40 is the old Route 66 and it ran through Vega also.  The 1915 Oldham courthouse is an altered Classical Revival courthouse. 
A Route 66 Service Station

I was surprised to see a 3x3x3 block of granite in front of the courthouse with the Ten Commandments.  This would not be the last monument to the Ten Commandments that I would find on courthouse grounds this day.



From Vega, we turned north on US385 to Channing, county seat for Hartley County.  Along the hightway my impression of the Panhandle changed from a flat desert to rolling hills and acre after acre of corn, cotton, cattle and hay.  The week before this trip the entire Panhandle had heavy rains.  The rains were so heavy much of the low lands along the highway were still filled with rainwater. The farmers of the Panhandle know that it never rains when you need it so they irrigate their crops with huge sprinklers that travel in large circles.

Corn growing under irrigation sprinklers.  Photo taken at 75mph.






Wind Farm along US385





The Hartley County courthouse is a 1906 Texas Renaissance style courthouse.  In the front for all the world to see is a 3x3x3 block of granite with the Ten Commandments boldly displayed.  I'm beginning to see a pattern here.  

From Channing, we continued north on US385 to Dalhart, county seat of Dallam County.


The XIT Ranch was the largest ranch in the US with 3,000,000 acres spanning 10 counties, hence X (10) in (I) T (Texas).  After leaving the museum I went to the back of the courthouse where I found another 3x3x3 block of granite with the Ten Commandments prominently displayed.  I was I photographing the block I was interrupted by a man about my age who said, "Can you believe this monument to God!"  I asked him what he was talking about.  He said they put this moument up to God.  I told him NO, it was the Ten Commandments, a document where our laws came from. He said no it's not.  I told him to look at the top.  He walked over and he got even madder.  He said they can't do this.  I asked him what he was going to do about it.  He got in his truck and left.  That was my encounter with a God hater...a fool if I ever saw one.

We left Dalhart and headed to Stinnet.  Along the highway we came upon a large herd of bison.  You probably call them buffalo.


This is a remnant of the original Southern Bison herd that was saved by Texas rancher Charles Goodnight.  You can read all about it at this link.

http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2011/mar/ed_2/index.phtml




The Hutchinson County courthouse is a maginficent Texas Renaissance courthouse built in 1927.  It also has the Ten Commandments prominently displayed on the courthouse grounds.



Coming into Spearman there is an unusual park on the right, a windmill park. 
It was full of windmills; all types, all sizes.  There was even a windmill on the courthouse grounds.  Walking around the courthouse, you'll never believe what I found.

Yes, it was another 3x3x3 block of gray granite with the Ten Commandments. Wow, these people of the Panhandle are something else.  I'm glad to see such an expression of gratitude toward our founding fathers and their faith.

Our next town was Perryton, county seat for Ochiltree County.  

The more interesting thing about Ochiltree County was not the courthouse but a the battle ground at Adobe Walls.  


I saw the sign doing 75 mph so I had to stop and turn around and go down the road the sign pointed to.  We drove and drove but we were unable to find the exact historical marker but I wanted you to read what happened here because it was a turning point in the war with the Comanches.
The 1500 Yard Shot:

If you have ever seen the movie, Quigley Down Under, you've seen a Sharps buffalo gun.  

On to the next county!  Lipscomb is the county seat of Lipscomb County.  Guess what I found on the courthouse grounds? Another block of granite with the Ten Commandments.


You can see it on the lower right, prominently displayed in front of the courthouse.
We got on the road again and drove to Canadian, county seat of Hemphill County.  This is one beautiful courthouse.  This is also a Texas Renaissance courthouse built in 1909.
Downtown Canadian, named after the river that flows through the county.


Leaving Canadian on US83 we spotted a dinosaur on top of one of the hills on the east side of the highway.  A friend of David's told us to watch out for it.

We arrived in Wheeler, county seat of Wheeler County.  The courthouse is a beautiful 1925 Classical Revival courthouse build of brick.
  
                                        Old jail on the courthouse square 



We bid farwell to Wheeler and we were off to Miami, county seat of Roberts County.



The Roberts County courthouse is a 1913 Classical Revival built of brick.

Our last courthouse of the day was in Pampa, county seat of Gray County.
If you're thinking this resembles the Alamo, you're right.  It's a Texas Renaissance courthouse built in 1928, designed by W. R. Kaufman.  It was closed by the time we got there so I just have exterior photos.  
This was a long day; 14 counties going from the far west of the Panhandle to the far east.  Tomorrow would be another long day but with a couple of side trips.

If you like the blog or don't like it let me know in the comments. Thanks, WW



2 comments:

  1. A lot of hard work, long drive, and the heat had to be a challenge. The Photography is just fantastic and the stories and description of the area is a very nice touch. I do not know how it could be better ony if I was there. Thanks Wayne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post again renews my memory of this outstanding trip. We saw so many things during this whirlwind trip it's hard to remember them. I'm looking forward to the Texas Longhorn pics.

    Have a God blessed day - dave b.

    ReplyDelete