Friday, July 11, 2014

Edwards County: A Restored Courthouse


June, 2013, I arrived in Rocksprings, Texas and found the Edwards County courthouse completely shrouded in scaffolding, undergoing a complete restoration by the Texas Historical Commission, Courthouse Preservation Program. I continued to check on the progress of the construction and learned that the work had been completed and it was rededicated on July 5th, 2014.  I decided to make another trip out west and see the newly restored courthouse for myself. David Billingsley was eager to go also and we planned our trip on July 9th. My dog, Tanner would also accompany us.

We left Houston at 5am, stopping in Columbus for breakfast and Comfort for gas.  We turned south on SH41 to Rocksprings. There are nothing but ranches on both sides of the road including the famous YO Ranch. We arrived in Rocksprings about 10:30 am. The courthouse looked brand new. There were American flags lining the sidewalk to the front door.


We left Rocksprings and made our way to New Braufels, county seat of Comal County. I needed some shots of the interior. We arrived there around 1:30 and I went inside and met a lovely lady, Jimaleah Fancher Boyers. She has an office inside and on the first floor. She was kind enough to turn on the lights in the 1st floor courtroom and said the 2nd floor courtroom is empty. There would be no problem in photographing the interior. I took care of this straight away so we could go to Grazin's Barbecue. It was worth the trip.
Courtroom Comal County Courthouse

Comal County Courthouse
Our last stop of the day was just up I35 in San Marcos. I took some interior photos of this Classic Revival. Hays County was named for famed Texas Ranger Captain, Jack Coffee Hays.

 





















No comments:

Post a Comment